Nephilim (Academy of the Fallen 2) - Chapter 1 Sneak Preview!

A Special Halloween Treat!



Nephilim (Academy of the Fallen 2) - Chapter 1 Sneak Preview!

Hunter

Chapter 1

It had been over 24 hours since I was dragged away from the Academy’s clinic, away from Kayla, who was still unconscious when I left.

They gave me two options: I would either have to accept that I was not allowed to see Kayla, or I would be on lock-down until further notice. I chose option three.

I did go to my room, pretended like I was going to stay away… the next day, when everyone seemed to be going about their own business, I ran to the gates of the Academy, where I could summon Chase. Chase is a ghost, trapped on earth, but he knows a lot about the Otherworld, which was where Kayla had been trapped… for far too long.

None of us at the Academy should ever be exposed to the Otherworld, the place where ghosts and demons wander around for most of their existence, but for Kayla, that was especially dangerous. Kayla, is one of their children, the offspring of a fallen angel with a human. Her father runs the Academy. Kayla, however, didn’t know much of anything. She was raised as human, hidden away from the Academy until she started seeing ghosts and other beings from the Otherworld.

I was on my way to the gate when the nurse stopped me.

“Hunter—Mr. Chambers!” she yelled to get my attention. “The girl, she is awake.”

I didn’t wait for her to say anything else. I ran to the clinic, but was stopped at the door by Kayla’s biological father and my private mentor, Mr. Daniels. I say private mentor because, like Kayla, I’m not like the others at the Academy. I’m not one of the haunted, and I’m definitely not one of the Fallen. Just about the only thing that I have in common with the Fallen is that I’m immortal.

“She is under observation, Chambers,” said Daniels. “You are not going in.”

My instinct said to rush past him and get in the room, but I knew that would only get me kicked out and I wouldn’t be able to get any information.

I took a deep breath.

“How is she?”

“She has been awake for a few hours. The nurse has given her food and explained where she is. She seems calm enough to where I will be able to walk in and actually talk to her, explain why she is here.”

“It doesn’t sound like a good idea,” I said.

Mr. Daniels, of course, ignored me. I just then noticed him staring at the monitors behind me, monitors that they added to check on Kayla.

“You may stay here and listen in, if you wish,” Mr. Daniels said.

I nodded.

Kayla was just sitting there, examining her nails, when Mr. Daniels walked in. She simply looked up, unalarmed, and stared at him. Daniels asked if she wanted to know why she was here.

Kayla shrugged.

Daniels told her that she was in danger because Benjamin, the son of an Incubus demon, was after her.

She gave him a puzzled look.

Then Daniels went on to explain that Benjamin is her half brother, and that Benjamin being after her was his fault. Daniels said he tried to protect her throughout her lifetime by letting humans care for her, but that only put her in even more danger.

Kayla just stared at him.

Daniels approached her, sitting on the foot of the bed.

Again, Kayla just watched him, trusting, understanding… something was wrong.

“Do you understand what you are?” Daniels asked.

She shook her head, but didn’t say anything at first.

“Am I a demon?” she asked. “Like my brother?”

“No, Kayla. You are a Nephilim.”

That got her to react, but she didn’t say anything, just looked surprised.

“Do you know what that means?” he asked.

She nodded.

Something was definitely wrong. Kayla didn’t know anything about the Nephilim. I had told her about the Fallen, about the haunted, but not this.

Daniels smiled.

“Very well, then. You will learn a lot in the Academy. I’m really hoping that time will lead us to get to know each other, and I hate to ask this, but it is important for your safety that no one knows what you are or that you are my daughter.”

Kayla shrugged.

By then, I had had enough. I barged into the room, moving directly toward her.

“You are out of line, Chambers!” Daniels yelled.

He looked at Kayla, but saw that she wasn’t reacting to my being there.

“Leave, Mr. Chambers.”

I ignored him.

“Look at me, Kayla,” I said.

She didn’t react to me calling her name. She just stared at Daniels like she had never seen a being like that before.

I put my hand on her arm to get her attention. “Hey! Look at me!”

When she did, her eyes were cold, dark, and empty. How could Daniels have not noticed? How could the nurses have missed this?

I already knew it before she spoke, but it was good that the words came from her and not from me, otherwise, Daniels might not have believed me.

“Get your hands off me! … and stop calling me Kayla. I’m not Kayla!”

* * *

©2011 Daniele Lanzarotta. May not be reprinted or reproduced in any manner, written, electronic or otherwise without express permission of author.




Comments

  1. I like it. Very interesting and provocative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Party 'Til Your Heels Fly Off - Blog Hop Tour

30 Days of Hunger Games-Day 2

Indie-Licious Blog Hop - Sins of the Fallen Teaser